Friday, August 17, 2007

Finding South With Only The Time And The Sun

I just found this article how to find South with your wristwatch and the sun. Couple of other tips for that.

The original method:

Hold a watch with 12 o'clock at left. Move your arm so the hour hand points at the sun. The spot halfway between the hour hand and the 12 is south.

Tip #1: So, what if you don't have a watch? I use this method quite often when I don't know where I am, but since I don't wear a wristwatch and my cell phone has a digital clock, I "imagine" the watch on my hand. It's a bit more time consuming, but it works.

Although I prefer to find the North, but it's only a matter of taste.

Tip #2: What if it's cloudy? It is quite difficult to pinpoint the sun through the clouds sometimes. Take a pen, a knife, anything pointy and place the tip on your thumbnail. You should see a faint shadow on the opposite side where the sun is.

Doesn't work during the night, but for this there's the Northern Star...

Tip #3: If you know where's North and South and you see the sun, it is quite easy to reverse engineer the time if you don't have any time keeping device with you.

Elementary, dear Watchon, I know, but I hope it helps someone.

No comments: