Friday, August 31, 2007

Michael Jackson Is Dead!

No, not that Michael. The one that didn't drink Pepsi and didn't sing.


The man in question was the great Beer Hunter, who died yesterday morning 30th of August. Sad day for all beer lovers around the world.

This Yorkshireman was 65 years old when he passed away. (27.3.1942 - 30.8.2007) In December 2006 we learned he was suffering from Parkinson's disease. Apparently already for a decade or so.

We shared two great passions. A passion for great beer and for great whiskey. He created the modern classification system for top yeast and bottom yeast beers.

Thanks to him I have discovered so many nice beers. One of my current favourites is surprisingly a fruit beer, although I am not normally willing to mix non-beer elements with beer. (I support Germany's beer law from 1516. Octoberfest in 2016, I'm going!) Lovely Lindeman's Framboos is a very nice beer that actually has beer taste and real rasberries in it. Not too fruity so it doesn't taste like rasberry soda, and the beer is not too strong to hide the fruits. Excellent balance. Michael was actually a fan of this Finnish beer-like drink called Sahti.

On his pages, section World View he starts:
The Kalevala, the national epic of Finland, describes the creation of the world in 200 verses, but needs 400 in which to explain the origins of beer. This is no small subject, which is why I've devoted much of my life learning about beer, the brewers who make it, the breweries where they work and a variety of beer cultures. I've got stories to tell you about all of these subjects and more.

I think I need to go to a Belgian pub tonight to drink a beer on his honour.

His pages: The Beer Hunter

No comments: